Common Boiler Issues
We may be able to help you with some troubleshooting tips for typical problems with hot-water and steam boilers. See if any of these can get your system back up and running. If not, the highly trained professionals with Total Home Comfort are ready to help.
- Thermostat isn’t true. Check that it’s switched to “on” and that the settings are correct. If that doesn’t help, we may need to replace your thermostat.
- No heat. Check for defective parts, thermostat issues, or low water levels.
- Experiencing leaking or dripping. Many times, these are caused by a broken internal part, worn-out seal, or corrosion.
- Banging, whistling, or gurgling sounds. Air in the system, low water pressure, or imminent part failure can cause these noises.
- Hearing rumbling or kettling noise. Water is overheating and boiling because water flow is limited by lime and sludge accumulation in the heat exchanger.
- Pilot light is out. This can arise from a broken thermocouple, air draft, or built-up deposit. Also, make sure the natural gas supply is on.
- Pressure is too low. This can be the cause of water leaking, a faulty pressure valve, or radiators that have been bled recently.
- Condensate pipe is backed up. The pipe runs outside, so there is a risk of freezing. Thaw it by pouring warm—not hot—water over it.
- Radiators won’t get hot. This could originate from sludge or air buildup in the system.
- Boiler keeps turning itself off. This could be caused by low water pressure, thermostat issues, low water flow from a closed valve, air, or pump’s improper water circulation.
Boiler breakdowns can be from a lack of routine service. Total Home Comfort can have a plan that could increase the comfort in your home and in your pocketbook by keeping up your system’s operation and efficiency.
Total Home Comfort Can Help You Pick the Best Option for Your Boiler
We’ll check with you about your boiler’s age, the cost to fix it, and how much you could save with a more efficient system.
Some of the most efficient systems carry the extra assurance of an ENERGY STAR® rating. Some do not need a pilot light, can produce heat more efficiently, and have built-in safety features.
When you depend on boiler service, boiler repair, boiler replacement or boiler installation for any brand of boiler, trust Total Home Comfort to make you feel right at home.