Benefits of Annual Furnace Maintenance
As the temperature drops and you find yourself reaching for the thermostat more and more, you should also reach for your phone to schedule annual furnace maintenance. Making sure your furnace is at its best this winter boosts your comfort, safety and peace of mind all season long.
Here’s a closer look at what this crucial yearly task involves and why you shouldn’t neglect it.
What Is Done During Routine Furnace Maintenance?
A maintenance appointment is an easy way to get your heating system ready for the cold months. Although the particular tasks depend on the brand and age of your furnace, you can typically expect your technician to do the following:
- Check and clean the burner: Over time, dirt and debris can clog the burner, affecting its performance. Cleaning it maintains the best possible heat transfer.
- Test the gas valves: Confirming these valves are fully open and operating properly is crucial for safe furnace operation.
- Check the heat exchanger: A cracked heat exchanger can lead to carbon monoxide leaks, so it’s important to make sure no cracks are present.
- Review and tighten electrical parts: Loose connections can make your furnace unsafe and inefficient. Fortunately, tightening them is a fast and easy task.
- Clean the blower: A grungy blower has an effect on your furnace’s ability to move warm air around your home. Cleaning and balancing the fan ensures optimal airflow.
- Replace the air filter: Clean air filters ensure appropriate airflow throughout your system, which is why you should always replace a dirty air filter in your furnace. Installing a brand-new air filter also boosts indoor air quality if you choose an effective filtration system.
Reasons to Schedule Annual Furnace Maintenance
If your furnace appears to be running fine, is it still helpful to set up a maintenance tune-up? Here are some of the ways furnace maintenance is beneficial:
- Lower the chance of mid-season failures: Few things are more discouraging than waking up on a cold winter morning to find your furnace has stopped working. Sudden breakdowns are stressful and can leave you scrambling to find a repairman. Annual furnace maintenance decreases the risk of unexpected issues because your service tech inspects every part of your system, catching minor issues before they escalate into costly repairs.
- Reduced repair costs: It’s a simple equation—the earlier you find a problem, the less expensive it is to repair. By investing in affordable, predictable maintenance visits, you can avoid high-priced, inconvenient repairs, keeping more money in your pocket.
- Increase your furnace’s service life: Like a well-maintained car, a furnace that receives regular tune-ups will likely last longer than an unattended heating system. Annual maintenance helps you avoid the expense of premature furnace replacement by increasing your system’s life span.
- Raise energy efficiency: A well-maintained heating system runs a lot more efficiently. When all the components are clean and in good working order, your system doesn’t have to work as hard to keep your home warm. This reduces your power bills and lessens your environmental impact.
- Healthier indoor air quality: Polluted indoor air worsens allergies and respiratory diseases. The air filter in your furnace catches dust, pollen and other airborne contaminants to reduce these conditions. During a maintenance appointment, the heating professional will change the air filter at your request, ensuring cleaner air flows through your home.
- Increases safety: A failing furnace is not only inefficient, it also could be dangerous. Cracked heat exchangers or defective gas valves can produce potentially deadly carbon monoxide leaks. Knowing your system has been inspected for any possible safety issues should give you a sense of comfort this winter.
What Season Should You Plan Your Maintenance Visit?
To enjoy the most benefits, it’s best to arrange annual furnace maintenance in the fall before winter’s chill sets in. This gives you time to make sure any issues are attended to before you have to call heavily on your heating system.
Do-It-Yourself Furnace Maintenance Between Appointments
Though professional maintenance is essential, you can perform several tasks yourself to keep your furnace running smoothly between visits:
- Change the air filter every 30 to 90 days to maximize airflow.
- Keep all return and supply registers open and free of obstructions for system balance.
- Vacuum the surface of the furnace with the brush attachment to make sure it stays clean.
Choose Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for Furnace Maintenance in the U.S.
If it’s time for your next furnace maintenance tune-up, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is a heating and cooling team you can count on. Our ACE-certified technicians provide fast, long-lasting solutions to all your heating and cooling problems. We’re proud to deliver solutions to our community and focus on making a significant difference in your everyday life and sense of comfort. We even give our customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee for your peace of mind. To set your heating system up for success this winter, call 866-397-3787 today to schedule furnace maintenance with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have radically changed home comfort and made it possible to stay wonderfully comfy in any season or climate. Yet, while centralized systems supply a simple way to control the temperature, they in some cases fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated... Continue reading
Eight Frequent Heating Misconceptions Debunked
There are many myths out there about home heating that create confusion and inefficient furnace usage. It’s time to get the facts out there. Here, the heating professionals at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing get to the bottom of the eight most common myths to keep your... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the coldest time of the year in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with easy and effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about boosting efficiency and removing pollutants from the very... Continue reading